Healthy Snacks for Your Next Family Day Trip
Planning a fun day trip with the family? Make sure you remember to pack healthy snacks to enjoy along the way. Here are some great choices:
- Popcorn. Pop it yourself at home and add any ingredients that you and the kids like. Whatever you do with it, popcorn is always a healthy alternative packed with fiber.
Pop it and give it a little spritz of olive oil and a sprinkling of sea salt and pepper. How about sprinkling some taco spices on top? Simple, healthy and delicious. Or try any of your favorite toppings, like grated cheese. Just don't overdo it!
- Healthy cookie alternatives. Make cookies with some healthy ingredient substitutes. No one will even know. Use whole wheat pastry flour or almond flour instead of white flour in the cookies. Add some rolled oats and replace butter with applesauce. A few dark chocolate or carob chips won't hurt, either.
- Can you say cheese?ퟀ�Sure you can. Cheese is a simple, healthy snack option. It's rich in protein and calcium.
So, pack some cheese and pair it with carrot sticks, apple slices, perhaps some fresh figs. It's a power snack.
- Alternative Rice Krispies Treats. Try this: Use puffed rice or whole-grain cereal as a substitute to Rice Krispies in the classic treat made with marshmallow and butter. Add some favorite dried fruits and seeds. There you have it!
These treats are easily transported and don't go bad for a long time.
- Hummus and veggies. How about whipping up (or, OK, buying) some hummus. It's so healthy and tasty. If you want to make your own, all you need to do is combine some chick peas, tahini (a sesame oil paste), some lemon, garlic, salt and pepper. And, you can add any ingredients you may like, such as olives or pimento.
Put it in a little container and bring along some carrots, broccoli or other veggie you prefer. You can also enjoy it with some organic blue corn chips. Yum! And for a little on-the-go meal, try ...
- Something simple like steamed chicken and broccoli with Cajun spice and dip. Just steam some chicken and broccoli and sprinkle a tad of olive oil on it and Cajun spice. Of course, if you like something simpler, olive oil, lemon and a touch of garlic salt will do.
Pack it up in a little container and, voila! And it doesn't need to be warm to eat.
- How about some healthy sandwiches?
If there are no peanut butter allergies in the family, organic peanut butter on 7-grain organic bread cut into fours works very well and provides an entire day's worth of protein! If you need to stay away from the nuts, try some turkey, hummus and sprouts on pita. Yum! How about a simple whole-grain English muffin pizza? Easy. Just toast the muffin with a little sauce and mozzarella cheese. Pack it up! It's even good cold.
- Donퟀ�t forget to hydrate! Make sure you have plenty of water to quench the familyퟀ�s thirst. Avoid the sugary drinks and enjoy the satisfying, cool taste of water to wash down your healthy snacks.
When you arrive at your destination, youퟀ�ll feel refreshed, healthy, and ready for some fun!